'ONE SHOULD EITHER BE A WORK OF ART, OR WEAR A WORK OF ART'

Saturday 3 October 2015

I decided about a month ago to become... vegan. It was mostly a health choice because diets just don't work with me and I wanted to lose some weight so that my clothes would fit properly again. I figured if I told myself that I could have a muffin or a brownie but chose not to because of what was in it then I wouldn't have them. Plus I would be cutting about a lot of calories and fat from not eating meat and milk and cheese. There is also a lot of people saying that eating a vegan diet makes them less tired which is a problem I've always had - I used to have a nap at least once a day regardless of what I was doing. 
These 2 videos really made the decision for me:





SO what has happened after a month? Well, I don't have to nap anymore and I rarely lay in, I don't dread my alarm going off at 7.30. My hair has grown and my nails are stronger. I've lost a stone and I generally feel happier and healthier. I think it's true that we are told we have to eat as much meat as we do. Even if I hadn't decided to be vegan, after watching the TED Talks video, I would have cut out some of the meat I eat. I also cook more. You have to be so much more inventive what what you make to avoid plain salad and steamed veg and that's fun! 

There is one thing that I miss and that's scrambled eggs. But, because I'm telling myself I can have them if I want them bad enough, I don't want them. 

The hidden horrors of carnism and the animal industry are awful but sometimes they are rammed down our throats and that's not what I'm trying to do. There are so many benefits to a non-violent lifestyle that it's worth thinking about what you're actually eating in a 'normal' diet. Plus Almond Milk tastes so much better than Cow's milk.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment